The Canberra Times

Letters to the editor
Tuesday, 25 April, 2000

 Treatment of Aborigines harms us throughout the
 world

 AS A PROUD, patriotic Australian who for business reasons lives
 overseas and travels internationally very regularly, it is extremely
 distressing to observe and feel the enormous damage being done to
 our reputation by the Aboriginal situation. The coverage in the world's
 media of the Aboriginal plight in general, and mandatory sentencing
 and the stolen children in particular, is significant and will only be
 exacerbated by the media in Australia for the Olympic Games. I was
 recently addressing a global technology forum in England and even
 there the issue was the subject of a question. The issue, as I am
 seeing it discussed, is much less emotional and biased than the
 debate at home and focuses on the following:

 1. Our long-term treatment of Aborigines borders on being a crime
 against humanity. 2. In light of apologies for past humanity crimes by
 host of leaders including President Clinton, the Pope, De Klerk and
 leaders of Germany, Canada and New Zealand among others, John
 Howard's excuses appear hollow and racist.

 3. Australia's selective ringing endorsement of United Nations
 decisions when they apply to other countries' affairs and total
 dismissal when it comes to our own is seen as hypocritical, to say the
 least, and lessens the value of our opinions.

 4. The attitude of the Australian Government is seen as racist and a
 reflection of the public's attitude. References to the "White
Australia"
 policy of the past are increasing and used as confirmation that things
 have not really changed. This hurts our country and our businesses
 and also reflects on each of us as individuals, which I strongly
resent.

 Indigenous people throughout the world have made significant gains
 in the past decade and our treatment of Aborigines is seen as a
 travesty against the trend. This stigma will last for generations. Take
 look at the Aboriginal quality of life. It is also the moral and right
thing
 to do.

 BOB PRITCHARD - Malibu, California,