-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [recoznet2] (Fwd) Re: Gender Equity is INjustice in
Western Australia
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:00:58 +0800
From: "Jim Duffield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: JG Estiot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: RecOzNet2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED],DICWC_MEM
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From:                   JG Estiot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     DICWC_MEM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Re: Gender Equity is INjustice in Western
Australia
Date sent:              Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:50:40 +1100

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> Media Release

> "On this International Womens Day we should not forget that in spite of
> the position stated by bodies such as Amnesty International, in Western
> Australia an Indigenous woman is fourteen times more likely to be
> imprisoned than her non-Aboriginal sister!" said Kath Mallott the
> Executive Officer of the Deaths In Custody Watch Committee.

How many times is she more likely to commit an offense than
her
non-Aboriginal sister!?

JG

"She" is the cats mother!

The "offenCe" point is moot, given that the Western
Australian Ministry of
Justice (WAMOJ) have a Director of Offender Management and
this is meant to
cover all inmates, even those on remand.

For those seeking to further research the data, please see
the ABS series
4512.0 and the Crime Research Centre of the University of WA
recent
analysis of this situation:

http://www.crimeresearch.ecel.uwa.edu.au/crc/stats/stats_report_1999.pdf

A simplistic response to this question is not possible;
given not all in
prison are guilty of any offence. Some (Aboriginal and
non-Aboriginal) are
guilty only of being poor, they cannot afford the bail!

Of the remaining women, nearly 60% are imprisoned because of
non-payment of
fines or traffic offences.

One does have to wonder about the world of Charles Dickens
and even
Jonathan Swift (see "Cooking Kids").  When one crosses the
Nullabor, does
one physically and philosophically enter Nulljusticum?

If you're Indigenous!

Jim Duffield

Research/Project Officer    ~     DICWC     ~     Jim
Duffield

"The beginning of the cause of deaths in custody does not
occur
within the confines of police and prison cells or in the
minds
of the victims. Initially it starts in the minds of those
who
allow it to happen." - Elder, the late Dr. Jack Davis AO,
BEM

http://www.deathsincustody.com ~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
This posting is provided to the individual members of this
group without permission from the
copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair
use" provisions of the Federal copyright laws and it may not
be distributed further without

RecOzNet2 is archived for members @
http://www.mail-archive.com/recoznet2%40paradigm4.com.au/

This posting is provided to the individual members of this  group without
permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal
copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of
the copyright owner, except for "fair use."