Howard doesn't seem to understand that governments do not have a 'moral
obligation' - as if it was charity - but a legal obligation. He couldn't be
clearer on what he thinks is the 'problem' with Aboriginal communities ... Trudy

THE AGE
 PM backs Abbott's poverty comments

 Wednesday 11 July 2001

 Prime Minister John Howard today defended Employment
 Minister Tony Abbott over his comments that some people were
 responsible for their own poverty.

 Mr Howard said it was true that some people's behaviour contributed to their
 circumstances, but Mr Abbott's comments had been misrepresented by the media.

 "What Tony Abbott said was in some circumstances people through their own
 behaviour contribute to their own poverty," he told the Nine Network.

 "Now that is true. And if a person in public life can't say that without being
belted
 around the head and misrepresented I think public debate has reached a very
sorry pass
 in this country."

 Mr Howard said neither he nor Mr Abbott had ever suggested the government did
not
 have a moral obligation to help the less privileged.

 But if people were able to give something back, through work for the dole or
mutual
 obligation, then the community ought to ask for it.

 "The important thing is that you have a
 strong social security safety net to help the
 genuine poor," Mr Howard said.

 "But over and above that, you have got to
 encourage in people a sense of personal
 responsibility.

 "We cannot have a society where people do
 not have any sense of personal responsibility.
 I mean we have got to develop self reliance in
 our community.

 "This is part of the problem with Aboriginal
 communities."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/2001/07/11/FFX4BSKZZOC.html