The Sydney Morning Herald
Letters
October 9, 2001

When desperation goes overboard

It's hard to imagine the desperation that drives a refugee to throw a child into
the sea. With the boat turned back, we may never know
their reasons. Simple panic? A heartless protest? Sheer terror at the thought of
your child being returned to the dictatorship you have just
risked everything to rescue it from?

Whatever the reason, anyone who endangers a child's mental or physical safety
ought to be condemned. But where does that leave a
government that cages refugee children - or leaves them on the deck of a
freighter in the blazing heat while it fishes the electoral waters
for votes?

Kate Orman, Epping, October 8.

How many people do you know who would sacrifice their children and throw them
overboard from a boat? Is this the kind of person
you want for a neighbour? Do we really need this type of savage in Australia? No
way!

George Freuden, North Bondi, October 8.

Perhaps we should set up an embassy/consulate/mission in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran
and those countries where the "illegals" are coming
from. Then they could apply "legally" and there would be no need for the
people-smuggling. Naive.

Robert More, Thirroul, October 8.

We overwhelmingly supported the intake of refugees from both Kosovo and East
Timor when the situations in their homelands required
such humanitarian action.

World media coverage in recent days leaves little doubt that much of the Afghan
population is in similar dire straits. Can we still turn our
backs on safe haven for these people?

Peter LeMarquand, Castle Hill, October 7.

John Howard claims that he will not be intimidated by the refugees' actions. How
can a group of desperate asylum seekers possibly
"intimidate" a Prime Minister with a heart of stone?

Mary Lee, Chippendale, October 8.