After 46 days of uptime and considerable stress testing, an ethernet driver
wedged.  On reboot, nfs exports fail.  Attempting a mount from a remote
machine yields:

  mount clntudp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

Running "rpcinfo -p" on the affected machine yields:

  rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused

Running "chkconfig ..." with various options also seems to do nothing --- I
ran
       "find /etc -type l -print > /tmp/etc.links" and
       "find /var -type l -print > /tmp/var.links"
before experimenting with chkconfig, and similar commands afterwards so
I could compare, and saw no difference.

Apparently the kernel hang left some detritus that needs to be cleaned
up before operations can resume.  This looks like an essential piece
of sysadm knowledge --- could someone point me in the right direction?
 Thanx,
 bilker