On Thursday 06 February 2003 02:16, rvelez wrote:
> OK I went and did some searching and an command prompt I did:
>
> [root@phyche dev]# insmod maestro
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/sound/maestro.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/sound/maestro.o: init_module:
> No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
>
> I looked in dmesg and the last thing in their was:
>
> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

> So I am thinking here that there is an IRQ conflict. Is this possible?
> Any ideas. I have searched and searched and haven't found anything to
> helpful. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again
>
> -Rad

OK, first a comment. I monitor this mailing list together with several
other RedHat lists which can total over 2000 e-mails per day. A subject
line of "Linux Newbie" does NOT exactly grab my attention amongst that
lot. I came across your original message from the flame war that
followed!!!!! So please when asking questions you want help with try and
pick a suitable subject line. Something like "Sound on a Dell c600" would
have worked.

Now I have a Dell c600 ( a very nice laptop ) running Redhat 8.0 and have
sound working no problem, unfortunately I don't have it with me at work
but I'll have it in tomorrow.

In the meantime could you do the following.

1.  run sndconfig as root, preferably without X running.
     what happens.

     I'm not sure but something reminds me there was a problem with
     redhat-config-sound in 8.0 not configuring that card properly but
     sndconfig worked.

2.  e-mail the contents of your /etc/modules.conf

3.  e-mail the result of ls -al /dev/ds*

Then I'm sure we can get up and watching/listening to all those wonderful
DVD's

Tony.
Tony Molloy.                 e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Manager.
Dept. of CSIS.               Phone:   +353-61-202778 (DL)
Univ. of Limerick.                    +353-61-333644 ext. 2778
Ireland.                     Fax:     +353-61-202734