On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 02:51, Santhavathi S wrote:
>     I have installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 and Openldap 2.1.12.

Use Red Hat's supplied OpenLDAP packages.  They work.

> I want to
> login to linux using the username and passwd from openldap. I have
> created a user in openldap. I have changed the /etc/nsswitch.conf to
> include ldap. The /etc/pam.d/system-auth file is also changed.

Use Red Hat's "authconfig" rather than modifying files yourself.  :)

I think you're making this harder than it needs to be.  Everything you
need is provided by Red Hat, and it works "out of the box" (or at least,
after you run authconfig).

> if I give the correct passwd it says "Segmentation fault".
>     Kindly help me out with a solution.

Could be a library version mismatch.   Go back to the RHL packages.