You may also like to investigate rsync. It is very fast and is perfect for
backing up over a network to another hard drive. I use it to back up a 24x7
file server 4 times per day. It happens on the fly in the background and it
only transfers the parts of the file(s) that have changed - hence it's speed.

Regards,
Brad