I would actually recommend using a full Linux distribution on a CD type distributions instead. I have a GREAT one that I have no idea what the name is :-) But it fits on a 3" 250MB CD-RW (I think it's a whole 50MB, actually), and I never walk into the data center without it.

These Linux-on-a-CD distributions are much more functional than a Red Hat boot CD, and typically come with every tool you can think of to help you fix your system. Partitioning a disk and restoring an OS from tape is a trivial task from one of these CD's.

-Fred

Mike Pelley wrote:
Hi All - I have what I think is a failing SCSI disk. Of course, it is the root filesystem that is contained on that disk! I have a good 4mm backup of that disk. What I'd like to do is to boot from the Red Hat CD, format the disk with the appropriate partitions and then restore from tape to the new disk.

Will this work? What have I missed?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mike