----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Postfix (Was: qmail or sendmail(postfix))

> Daryl,
>
> Millions of us are using linux mail without any problems.  I think that
> what you are running afoul of is a default configuration that has been
> set up intentionally by distro publishers as a "best practice".
> Basically it is thus:
>
> 1) If somebody is physically logged into a linux box, they are able to
> send and receive email.  No problem.
>
> 2) Mail relay is disabled by default, because of unethical spammers who
> scan for open relays and use them for illegal reasons.
>
> 3) There are several ways that you can configure your email to relay in
> a responsible manner.
>
>     a)  The docs that come with RH and that are available on RH's
> website specifically show you how to configure sendmail to allow relay
> for specific IP addresses or address ranges.  This is handy if you are
> attempting to use your RH box as the primary mail server for a
> corporation or a home network where you expect to always access your
> imap/pop email from specific machines.
>
>     b) The notes I published for you show how to set up postfix with
> sasl auth in such a way as to allow you to log into your box with an
> imap client from anywhere in the world and send/receive email.  It is
> working for myself and for three other family members (wife, brother,
> father-in-law),  and those three don't have any technical knowledge
> whatsoever.
>
> I understand your frustration, as I have shared it in the past.  Please
> remember, though, that while linux gives you nearly unlimited power to
> do whatever you want, it does require more effort in learning HOW to
> achieve your goals.
>
> Ben

At this time, I don't have the time and Customers need Email NOW.  It costs
me a bundle to 3rd party the Emails and the Website when a simple DNS with
MX sends it to two machines including the venerable 2000 machine.  But I do
need the HTTPS server that is quite simple to setup under Linux or BSD.
Either one works.  I will admit that I got much further on Free BSD since it
worked right out of the box with little monkeying with it.  I like the
interface that Linux has but the new FreeBsd has the same ones now.

And more ISPs run FreeBsd than Linux these days using Postfix instead of
sendmail.

I would like to thank you for your cooperation.  I will get some time one of
these days and get back on it.

Until then, tawtaw.