Hello everyone,
I have RH9 installed on some generic machine which P4 processor.

I download
        rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2_rpm

from Realplayer website and tried installing it using rpm -ivh.  I got the
following error messages.

Could someone guide me what these mean and how I can get around them.  I am
trying to install as user rather than root. I guess better questions are

why is there an exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages?  Do I need to be root
to install anything?  Is there a way to install something as a user?

error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Thanks all very much.