Unix already had the ability to mount tape devices as
filesystems
using the block device drivers ages ago. (V6 and probably
eariler)

write your 512 byte blocks
out onto the tape, mkfs (newfs now adays) your filesystem,
and mount it.
Not used - too slow to access because of the tape motion and
unreliable,
tape does not always skew up correctly as it was never
designed for random access like disk, its really a linear
device.
Sort of write it, then read only, and rewrite the entire
thing to update it.

You can seek to a block, read it,
seek back, write it and potentially clobber the records on
the tape
before or after this position by writing the new block
slightly off
from where it was previously written Plus - a little wear
after time,
stretch the tape, and your filesystem is hosed, SO NOT
advised to use this way.

Buy a disk and back it up to tape.

Rossman
>  Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 10:27 AM
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Subject: Re: Tape Backup
>

>  On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 10:18 AM, Nick Lindsell
wrote:
>  >> The main reason is that, in order to do this you
really need a
>  >> high-speed random access device.  Tape drives are
neither high
>  >> speed (at least not the speed you really need) nor are
they
>  >> random access (they are sequential access).
>  >>
>  >> Perhaps someone has written a tape driver that will
end up calling
>  >> me a liar on this point, but in general, tape is not
the right
>  >> hardware paradigm to start with to make a good file
system.
>  >
>  > I have seen such a thing - a friend of mine (Gary
Howland, sadly
>  > deceased) wrote such a driver. It worked well enough to
play Doom
>  > off it. :)
>
>  You see?  In the world of Linux, I am loathe these days
to ever say
>  that something doesn't exist or can't exist -- someone
out there has
>  probably already written it.  :-)
>
>  > This was many years ago and was DOS only - as I recall
he made a
>  > meta index at the front of the tape which allowed to
>  seek directly
>  > to the block where the required file was located.
>
>  This is (more or less) how Unix "dump" format tapes work
too -- table
>  of contents at the head of the tape.  This is a special
format geared
>  to be able to do this.  I was answering the general
question
>  of whether
>  one could "mount" any arbitrary tape as a file system.
Programs that
>  use formats like the unix "dump" format and probably the
one
>  that does
>  the same for DOS, use memory as a cache for the pieces
that