Hello everyone.

I've run into a bit of a problem when I try and implement userquotas on my /home partition.

I followed the steps that were suggested in the Red Hat Manuals.

I did the following:

1) I edited /etc/fstab and add usrquota to the /home line:

$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /var type ext3 (rw)

So home does have the userquota set.

Next, I tried to run quotacheck -avug and received this:

$ quotacheck -avug
quotacheck: Cannot get quotafile name for /dev/sda6

After tinkering a bit, I did this:

quotacheck -acvu ( dont need group quotas)

and this worked. It created the file aquota.user in /home

So I was curious if the reason why it did not work the first time was becuase I did not specify the -c flag?

Lastly, i'd like to learn more about using quotas. Any suggested further readings?

I appreciate it.

Jason