On Sunday 18 April 2004 17:26, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That a lot of spam has been coming through this list is one thing. That the
> list daemon threatens to cut people from the list whose systems refuse to
> accept some of the spam is another.
>
> Might I suggest a simple category of stuff to throw out before forwarding
> to the list: HTML-only mail. 99%+ of it is spam, and the other <1% isn't
> the sort of people who have any interest in advanced file systems.
>
> Two easy ways to block a lot of it:
>
> 1. With procmail:
>
> # HTML only message are most probably spam.
>
> :0
>
> * ^Content-Type:.*text/html
> {
>   LOG="(HTML) "
>
>   :0
>
>   /dev/null
> }

Also, multipart mail that consists of an HTML part and no text part is *all*
spam. (I have one sender that sends a legitimate HTML-only mail.) To get rid
of this, use this procmail rule:

:0 B
* H ?? Content-Type: multipart
* ! ^Received:
/dev/null
#The Received check is there because I am a postmaster.

Also block mail from IP addresses known to be open relays, open proxies,
rooted boxes, etc.

phma
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa