Alexey Polyakov wrote:
On 9/19/06, David Masover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

When I have over a
gig of RAM free (not even buffer/cache, but _free_), and am trying to
download anything over BitTorrent, even if it's less than 200 megs, the
disk thrashes so badly that the system is really only usable for web and
email.  Even movies will occasionally stall when this is happening, and
by "occasionally", I mean every minute or so.

Do you have this problem on plain vanilla + reiser4?

Yes.

Well, no.  My kernel is:

vanilla 2.6.17.13 on amd64

patches:
sk98lin 8.36, latest from the manufacturer
reiser4-for-2.6.17-3
my own patch that disables fsync and fdatasync

external modules, installed via Portage:
ALSA 1.0.11 driver, using snd_emu10k1 and all sorts of support stuff (OSS emulation, synth, etc)
nvidia driver, 1.0.8762

I've also been having a bit of instability issues, but only very rarely do these seem at all FS-related. I'm overclocked a bit, and I can reliably crash my system by playing Neverball, Doom 3, or Quake 4 for several hours. I strongly suspect this is either my overclocking or the nvidia drivers here.

However, I doubt anything I've done beyond vanilla+reiser4 is affecting this disk access issue, and I'm pretty much rock solid when I'm not playing a game. I also have a close-to-identical machine nearby which is not overclocked, same kernel, same modules, everything except the nvidia driver, been rock solid for a year, no performance issues to speak of. The main difference, other than graphics, is that the stable machine is using 21 gigs out of 72, whereas the unstable one (the one that's sluggish for BitTorrent) is using 279 gigs out of 350, and has been up to 320 or 330 at least before I started cleaning things out.

So I think we're down to two possibilities: Either an update to Azureus has found a way to sync that I'm not aware of, or this is the behavior someone described where Reiser4 will attempt to find contiguous space to allocate, and continue searching and re-searching the same areas of the disk almost every write. To be honest, I hope it's about syncing, somehow, because I'd much rather believe my disk isn't horrendously fragmented...