Title: Rachel Corrie
Car* RK,

un articolo da Indy sul memorial per Rachel a Rafah, cerimonia accompagnata da minacciose  scorribande di veicoli dell'esercito israeliano, bulldozer e lacrimogeni contro la gente radunata per commemorare Rachel e piantare fiori sul luogo della sua morte... fra i bulldozer, cosa agghiacciante, quello stesso che l'ha schiacciata.
Trovate poi altro materiale, fra cui una lettera dei suoi amici attivisti di Evergreen ad Olympia; l'annuncio di una veglia a Washington con i familiari di Rachel e la testimonianza/denuncia di un amico di Rachel sulla dinamica della sua morte, di quello che appare essere stato tutto tranne che un "incidente".

Questo č l'indirizzo dell'articolo di Indy, per poter accedere a tutti i link.

http://www.italy.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/218345.php

Nel frattempo, a San Francisco, pių di 1800 persone sono state arrestate negli ultimi due giorni per le manifestazioni di disobbedienza civile contro la guerra...

un abbraccio,
Stefania

In Memory of Rachel Corrie
by www.palsolidarity.org Friday March 21, 2003 at 12:57 AM
1-Memorial For Rachel In Rafah 2- on behalf of Rachel's activist friends in Olympia 3-Statement on the death of Rachel Corrie - Congressman Jim McDermott 4- Rachel Corrie's Family to Attend Washington, DC Vigil 5-The closest eye wittness account on the murder of Rachel Corrie 6- In memory of Rachel Corrie, March 18, 2003

1-Memorial For Rachel In Rafah

Dear all,

Today we held a memorial ceremony for Rachel Corrie in Rafah. ISMers from Nablus and Jenin and
activists from the Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron arrived in Rafah to pay respects to our
murdered friend and to support the group here.

We marched in silence through the city, 15 internationals with more and more Palistinians joining in
on the route. By the time when we arrived to the spot where the IOF-Bulldozer took Rachels life we
numbered about 200. We held a ceremony where laying and planting flowers on the ground next to a
small memorial-monument. I planted three flowers - from ISM Jenin, ISM Sweden and the third from a
close friend of Rachel.

The IOF was notified in advance that we would hold this ceremony to honour our friend whom they
murdered two days ago, still they couldn't respect us enough to stay away. Less than 15 minutes after
we arrived they sent out an APC that drove up to us and started to cover the area with thick white
smoke. We ignored them and continued our ceremony by walking out in the 3-400 meters wide
desert-landscape that is the so called security-zone on the Egyptian border. The APC followed us as
we walked all the way up to the barbed-wire fence and hung an ISM-banner and lay more flowers on the
ground.

Provoked by the present APC activists and Palestinians (who has not been able to enter this area for
many years) started to confront the vehicle, putting flowers and posters of Rachel on it. The
soldiers acted somewhat restrained in the beggining, one activist was even able to climb the APC and
hand over a Rachel poster through the lid on top of the APC. Then after half an hour several more
vehicles approached, three bulldozers and two more APCs. When we saw that one of the bulldozers,
949-623, was the very same one that killed Rachel things got very emotional, we were all outraged and
many activists was crying.

The soldiers now took a more aggressive approach and drove around the crowd in high speed, again
putting lifes of activists and Palestinians in great danger. Some activists tried to stand in front
of them but had to jump out of their path not to get run over. They threw some percussion-grenades
and some tear-gas (that dispirsed in seconds in the dusty Rafah-wind) and activists responded by
covering them in flowers and pictures of Rachel. Eventually they all left except for the first APC
and we decided to end our session with a sit-in. We all sat in a minute of silence and we held some
speaches before we marced together out of the no-mans land that is normally entered only by the
occupation-armys killer-machines.

We must never forget Rachel Corrie, the sacrifice she made, nor the other international Aid/Press
workers that the Israelis have killed.

We must never forget the over 2100 Palestinians that have been slaughtered by the IOF and we must
never forget the over 22000 that they have injured.

We must continue our work to resist the occupation in any possible way until it is no longer needed.
in grief and solidarity,

tobias

Tobias Karlsson
ISM-Coordinator
Jenin area
+972 (0)57-836527
+972 (0)67-437690
2- on behalf of Rachel's activist friends in Olympia

As I've been in contact with a number of you recently concerning the death of Rachel Corrie, I felt
it necessary to send you this letter from Olympia, Washington.

These words come from me, but I hope I can write this on behalf of Rachel's activist friends in
Olympia. I would like to thank everyone for your condolences, your offers of help, and your calls for
justice for Rachel and the people of Palestine. At the same time I must also apologize for our delay
in issuing an official statement regarding her murder by the Israeli military.

As you can imagine, all of us in the Olympia community are dealing with a great loss. Rachel grew up
in Olympia, and it seems as if everyone here knew her. If they didn't attend school with her, then
they had a child who attended school with her.

Although she was only 23, Rachel was active in many causes, domestic and international. She was a
relentless organizer and leader, involved in the Evergreen Labor Center and frequently described as
the "heart and soul" of the Olympia Movement for Justice and Peace.

Her primary goal in traveling to Rafah in the Gaza Strip was to establish a "sister community"
relationship between Olympia and Rafah, similar to the sister county relationship we currently have
with Santo Tomas, Nicaragua. She had wanted to promote dialogue and understanding between her
hometown and Palestine. This was her first trip to Palestine, and she had meant to stay in Rafah for
three months.

She was especially interested in establishing a long-term international presence in the Gaza Strip,
as most attention had previously been directed towards the West Bank. She wanted those in Gaza to
know that they were not forgotten.

There have been some attempts to portray her final actions as naive or reckless, but those of us who
knew her know better. She had strong convictions of social justice, and she sought to create a better
world for everyone, protecting those less privileged, in whatever capacity she felt possible. As an
ISM volunteer myself, I must say that her actions on March 16 should have carried a relatively low
risk, compared to the many other actions we ISM volunteers have faced. I can imagine several other
scenarios which would have carried a higher risk. She could not have expected the sadistic actions of
the bulldozer operator.

The IDF and its sympathizers claim that she should not have been in a war zone. The truth is she was
not in a war zone. She was in a Palestinian residential neighborhood and was welcomed by the locals.
We must instead ask what Israeli tanks and bulldozers are doing in Palestinian residential
neighborhoods.

News of what had happened to Rachel spread quickly throughout Olympia on Sunday. Friends and
activists quickly prepared banners and posters remembering Rachel, in preparation of the candlelight
vigil, which was held later that evening.

All day I stayed home fielding phone calls from the press, one after another. To be able to attend
the vigil later that evening was the one thing that saved me, being able share my grief with others.
The vigil numbered about 700. In addition to "No Iraq War" signs, people were carrying photos of
Rachel that read, "Peacemaker."
You can see photos of the vigil here:
http://photoarchives.evergreen.edu/dcs/orders/Community-Interest/Rachel_Corrie_Memorial%20-Peace_Vigi
l/

Afterwards, the Olympia Film Society donated its Captiol Theater to hold a memorial for Rachel. Many
of us have since learned the extent to which the entire community of Olympia had long known Rachel.
Her involvement in many local causes and activities had fostered relationships between Rachel and
Olympians from all walks of life--progressive, conservative, mainstream, alternative, whatever.
Everyone knew her.

Many people and organizations around the country have contacted us, offering condolences, and
offering their resources to organize actions on behalf of Rachel. Unfortunately it has been a long
process for those of us who are still in shock upon hearing of her death. She was a vital part of the
community, and the void is now only more apparent.

We are in the process of working up a statement and calls to action and will issue them soon.
Meanwhile we can work towards justice by highlighting Amnesty International's latest denunciation of
US-sponsored Israeli violence and recognizing the demands set by the human rights organization:
"Amnesty International condemns killing of Rachel Corrie"
http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/2003/israel03172003.html

For now, I can be contacted for further information at 360-956-1210. The family is for the most part
unavailable to speak to directly, although I can pass on messages to them.

The loss of a single member of our community is unbearable. It is much more difficult to imagine the
loss of almost 2,000 Palestinians, each one of them a vital, irreplacable member of the community.
Rachel's death demonstrates how committed we must remain in our fight against the Occupation. It is
heartening to know that so many people have shown their sympathy and compassion as we work together
to end the Occupation and work for a just peace for Palestine and its people. Thank you.
Phan Nguyen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

3-Statement on the death of Rachel Corrie - Congressman Jim McDermott
March 18, 2003

I am saddened and horrified by the death of Rachel Corrie on March 16. The
U.S. must require and the Israeli government must provide all of the facts
about what happened on Sunday.

What we know is terrible: a young, unarmed woman was killed when a D-9
armored bulldozer driven by a member of the Israeli security forces ran over
her.

What we must find out is important: How could a brightly dressed woman with
a bullhorn have failed to be seen by the bulldozer driver? What orders are
the drivers given? How are they trained? What are their "rules of
engagement" with protestors?
4- Rachel Corrie's Family to Attend Washington, DC Vigil

Craig and Cindy Corrie, along with their son, Chris Corrie will attend a
candlelight vigil in memory of their daughter Rachel, who was killed on
Sunday in the Gaza Strip, when she was run over by an Israeli bulldozer.
Rachel was protesting the Israeli policy of demolishing Palestinian homes
and was standing in front of a home in Rafah, located in the Gaza Strip,
urging the bulldozer driver to stop, when he ran her over.

The vigil is being organized by the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination
Committee (ADC) and will take place on Tuesday evening at 5:30pm in front of
the Israeli Embassy on International Drive and Van Ness Street.

Please join us to commemorate the life and protest the tragic death of the
courageous American peace activist, Rachel Corrie. Her friends and family
will not let her death go in vain and will continue to fight the inhumane
Israeli policy of destroying Palestinian homes, and for the freedom and
justice that Rachel gave her life for.

When: Tuesday, March 18 at 5:30pm EST
Where: Adjacent to the Israeli Embassy (International Drive and Van Ness
Street)
5-The closest eye wittness account on the murder of Rachel Corrie

I received the message below yesterday from Tom Dale, an 18 year old English
student with whom I have spent time on both my visits to Palestine.

Many of you will of heard varying accounts of the death of Rachel Corrie,
maybe others will have heard nothing of it. Regardless, I was 10 metres
away when it happened 2 days ago, and this is the way it went.

We'd been monitoring and occasionally obstructing the 2 bulldozers for about
2 hours when 1 of them turned toward a house we knew to be threatened with
demolition. Rachel knelt down in its way. She was 10-20 metres in front of
the bulldozer, clearly visible, the only object for many metres, directly in
it's view. They were in Radio contact with a tank that had a profile view
of the situation. There is no way she could not have been seen by them in
their elevated cabin. They knew where she was, there is no doubt.

The bulldozer drove toward Rachel slowly, gathering earth in its scoop as it
went. She knelt there, she did not move. The bulldozer reached her and she
began to stand up, climbing onto the mound of earth. She appeared to be
looking into the cockpit. The bulldozer continued to push Rachel, so she
slipped down the mound of earth, turning as she went. Her faced showed she
was panicking and it was clear she was in danger of being overwhelmed. All
the activists were screaming at the bulldozer to stop and gesturing to the
crew about Rachel's presence. We were in clear view as Rachel had been,
they continued. They pushed Rachel, first beneath the scoop, then beneath
the blade, then continued till her body was beneath the cockpit. They
waited over her for a few seconds, before reversing. They reversed with the
blade pressed down, so it scraped over her body a second time. Every second
I believed they would stop but they never did.

I ran for an ambulance, she was gasping and her face was covered in blood
from a gash cutting her face from lip to cheek. She was showing signs of
brain hemorrhaging. She died in the ambulance a few minutes later of
massive internal injuries. She was a brilliant, bright and amazing person,
immensely brave and committed. She is gone and I cannot believe it.

The group here in Rafah has decided that we will stay here and continue to
oppose human rights abuses as best we can. I want to add that more than 10
palestinians have died in the Gaza strip since Rachel.

If you're wandering about Rachel: her writings, photos of her and statements
on her death are available on the below website. More photos: go to yahoo
news section, search for photos by 'rachel'.

If you're wandering about the International Solidarity Movement:
http://www.palsolidarity.org

If you're wandering about Rafah: in the southern Gaza strip, next to the
Egyptian border. Apart from suffering in excess from the problems all over
Palestine: Israeli manipulation of the water supply, economic strangulation,
regular shootings and army operations, Rafah is afflicted by the building of
an extra border wall. It has caused hundreds of homes to be destroyed. The
house in question, that of a doctor, like dozens of others in the area is
not set to be demolished because of any supposed link to militants. Only
because it lies within 100 metres of the new border wall, currently in
construction. Families receive no compensation from Israel, and are
frequently given just a few minutes warning in the form of live ammunition
being shot through the walls of their house.
6- In memory of Rachel Corrie, March 18, 2003
Peter Bohmer
faculty member, the Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA

Rachel Corrie was an incredibly good person. I mourn and am very
saddened by her murder Sunday, March 16th, 2003. She was killed by a
bulldozer as the Israeli military ran over her as she was protesting the
destruction of Palestinian homes in Rafah in the Gaza Strip. Rachel,
who was 23, grew up in Olympia, Washington. I originally met her when
she was a student in the Options program at Lincoln Elementary school
in1989. She was a friend of my son and played on the same YMCA
basketball team as my daughter. Rachel and I talked a lot the last two
years and marched together at various demonstrations, for example, May
Day 2002. Rachel was a totally caring and gentle person who loved life
and was outraged by oppression wherever it took place and had become
very active working for social justice and peace. Rachel was a very
modest, courageous and responsible person who was the heart and soul of
the Olympia Movement for Justice and Peace, a group she had originally
begun working with as part of her study in the Local Knowledge program
taught by Anne Fischel and Lin Nelson at the Evergreen State College.
Rachel was very active in opposing the U.S. "war against terror" and
U.S. militarism. One project she threw her mind and body into was a
September 11th, 2002 day against the U.S. war in Afghanistan and against
repression in the United States at Percival Landing in downtown
Olympia. She got a lot of elementary school kids and classes to
participate. So it is very fitting that the vigil on Sunday, March
16th, against the war in Iraq and to honor and mourn Rachel, was at
Percival Landing. Close to 1000 people attended.

Rachel was a very reflective person who constantly thought about how to
link together various groups working for justice, e.g., the labor
movement and the peace movement. She volunteered at the Evergreen State
College Labor Education and Research Center and played a major role in
organizing a conference dealing with networking and strategies for
justice and peace last spring, 2002. Another major concern of hers was
to involve the local Olympia community that was not connected to
Evergreen to the anti-war and economic and social justice issues and
groups. Besides going to the Evergreen State College, Rachel also
worked at BHR, a local mental health clinic and was active in her union,
1199, a part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).

Justice for the Palestinian people was one of many issues Rachel felt
deeply about. She strongly opposed the Israeli occupation and supported
a Palestinian state. For Rachel, feeling deeply always meant also doing
something about her concerns. She had studied Arabic at Evergreen and
decided to go to the Gaza strip in occupied Palestine for winter
quarter. Part of her reasoning was that it was important to have
international observers there as Israeli aggression was likely to
increase when the U.S. attacked, bombed and invaded Iraq. She strongly
opposed the U.S. war against Iraq. Rachel was aware of the dangers and
risks of going to Gaza. She left Olympia on January 18th of this year,
went to the West Bank and then Gaza, threw herself fully into human
rights activism and solidarity with the Palestinian people. She
volunteered with the International Solidarity Movement, people from
around the world who have been witnesses to Israeli attacks on
Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza and involve themselves in
non-violent protest against the Israeli occupation. Rachel had planned
to return to Evergreen State College for spring quarter to finish her
studies.

Rachel Corrie will not be coming back to Olympia but let us all take a
moment to reflect on what each of us can do to carry on her legacy by
doing a little more to oppose the U.S. war against Iraq, and further
justice, equality and peace in the Middle East, around the world and in
the U.S. Rachel Corrie was an ordinary and an extraordinary person.

--

Rispondere a