Please post widely
_____________________________________

|________________________________________
|________________________________________

|            Negotiations is a space where we can face the
challenges of an open exchange about the most difficult issues
pertaining to the history and current conditions of the crisis in
Palestine-Israel. We believe this exchange to be crucial as we
witness a new phase in global colonization schemes, set fast on
further deprivation, disenfranchisement and displacement of
Indigenous peoples. The Palestinian Intifadas exemplify
counter-colonization movements. As such, they should compel us to
make our political and social interventions meaningful, sustainable
and visionary. This must be a collective effort, and no inclusive
collectivity can be built in the absence of imagination and
communication. Art, as a medium for both, is therefore essential to
any project of transformation.
      The people and projects brought together in Negotiations offer
uniquely creative means through which art can trigger, facilitate and
channel social exchange. Negotiations is not meant to be merely
consumed. We have built into our programme of activities multiple
opportunities for participatory dialogue and work. We hope to see you
there as active co-labourers.

|_________________________________
|_________________________________

|_________________________________
|  WILL  |  Exhibition Reception
|  Thursday June 19  |  5:30 -7 pm
|  A Space Gallery, 401 Richmond st.
|
|  On exhibit June 19 through July 19 at A Space Gallery:
|
|  _Inadvertent Monuments_ Installation by Ilana Salama Ortar and
Steven Wright (Israel, France)
_Destinations_ Audio-Visual Installation by Galia Shapira, Aref
Nammari, Haggai Kupermintz, Phil Shane (Israel/USA, Palestine/USA,
Israel/USA, USA)
_Farah: In Search for Joy_  Net-art project by Rami a.k.a. Jaromil
(Italy, Palestine)
_ Dance_  Multimedia installation by Alexandra Handal with poets
Karen Alkalay-Gut and Nathalie Handal (Palestine/Dominican Republic,
Israel, Palestine/USA)
_Squares in the Pavement & Beau temps, mauvais temps_
Photo-documentary by Shahrzad Arshadi and Josee Lambert (Canada);
_Video Petition Project_  Video Installation by Artist Emergency Response
(USA)
_Olive Fair_  Work-in-progress installation  by Negotiations Working
Group (Canada)

|__________________
|  CHECK POINT  |  Opening Performance Night
|  Thursday  June 19  |  9 pm
|  Winchester Pub, 537 Parliament St.  |  $12 or pwyc
|
|  Check Point is a space for resiting colonization and displacement,
negotiating the borders of identity and building creative solidarity.

|  Poetry by special guest Lee Maracle
|  Music and spoken word inspirations by Trish Salah & Reena Katz
|  Middle Eastern/South American/African beat by Suleiman Warwar &
Milad Bouchaaya

|___________________
|  SHOOT BACK WITH VIDEO | Hands-on Wokshop in video production and
media activism
|  Friday June 20  |  1:30 - 4:30 pm
|  Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave.  |  Free event
|
|  Learn about the history of the Israel/Palestine conflict, and
contribute your knowledge of activism and art to the production of a
section of the Video Petition Project.

|__________________
|     BEAT ON THE STREET | Street Performance
|  Friday June 20  |  4:30 - 5:30 pm
|     On Bloor, North West Corner of Avenue  |  Free event
|
| Coalition Against War and Racism (CAWR) brings musicians from
diverse cultures for a street performance across from the Israeli
Consulate. In solidarity with the Jewish Women's Committee to End the
Occupation and the Coalition for a Just Peace in Palestine and
Israel, cosponsors of the weekly Friday vigils, an ongoing gathering
of Toronto's voices of conscience since 1988.

|__________________
|     STAKING CLAIM(S)  |  Screening & Conversation with Curator
|  Friday June 20  |  6:15 pm
|  Innis Town Hall  |  $12 or pwyc
|
|  A programme of media art by Aboriginal artists addressing issues
of land base/rights, sovereignty, stewardship and disenfranchisement.

|   With Guest Curator: Steven Loft
|   Facilitator: Gita Hashemi
|
|   Screenings include:
_Rooster Rock Ð The Story of Serpent River_  by Bonnie Devine and
Rebecca Garrett (Canada, 2002)
_Untitled_  by Dana Claxton (Canada 2001)
_$4 Indian_ by Darlne Naponse (Canada 2001)
_A Nation is Coming_  by Kent Monkman (Canada 1996)
_'Si'Elu'taxw _ by First Nations Video Collective (Canada 1997)

|___________________
|  ON SITE |  Meet the Artists
|  Saturday June 21  |  12 -1 pm
|  A Space Gallery  |  Free event
|
|  Meet participating artists including Shahrzad Arshadi, Haggai
Kupermitz, Josee Lambert, Ilana Salama Ortar, Galia Shapira, Stephen
Wright, Artist Emergency Response and Negotiations Working Group.

|____________________
|  THE PRICE OF OLIVES |  Creative Workshop
|  Saturday June 21  |  1 - 4 pm
|  A Space Gallery  |  Free event
|
|   What does it take to grow olives in Occupied Palestine? What does
it take to bring them here?  With your participation and through a
fair trade of stories and facts, ideas and labour, we will build the
Olive Fair installation, our contribution to the WILL exhibit, and
explore what it takes to build an accountable politics of solidarity.

|_____________________
|  LAND WITHOUT SOIL, ART WITHOUT ARTWORK  |  Panel Discussion & Screening
|  Saturday June  21  |  5:30 - 7 pm
|  Innis Town Hall  |  $5 or pwyc
|
|  Is it possible to address the perceptual geopolitics of partition
using art-related habitus and skills while avoiding the pitfalls of
"picture politics?" The screening of Ilana Salama Ortar's short
documentary film, Adamut/Lands [Israel 2003, 12min, DV], and the
ensuing presentation will be the occasion to examine the veritable
use-value of art in a political framework.

|______________________
|  UNSETTLED RETURNS    |  Screening & Conversation with Directors
|  Saturday June 21  |  7:30 pm
|  Innis Town Hall  |  $12 or pwyc
|
|  This programme brings together two celebrated filmmakers, Michel
Khleifi and Eyal Sivan, on the screen and in person, for a close
inspection of the unsettling history of Palestine-Israel.

|  With: Michel Khleifi and Eyal Sivan.
|  Facilitator: Gita Hashemi
|
|  Screenings include:
  _Ma'aloul Celebrates its Destruction_  by Michel Khleifi
(Palestine/Belgium 1984)
  _ Aqabat Jaber, Peace with no Return?_ by Eyal Sivan (Palestine/Israel
1995),
  And an exclusive preview of clips of Khleifi and Sivan's new
collaborative project:
  _The Partition Line_ (2003).

|_______________________
|  UP CLOSE  |  Film Screening
|  Sunday June 22  |  12:30 pm
|  Innis Town Hall  |  $8 or pwyc
|
|     Ordinary people pay the highest price in any conflict.
|
|     Curated by George Khleifi (Ramallah, Palestine)
|
|     Screenings include:
_Once Again: Five Palestinian Human Rights Stories_  produced by The
Institute of Modern Media, Al Quds University (Palestine, 2001)
_3cm less_ by Azza El-Hassan (Palestine 2003)

|_______________________
|  MEETING GROUNDS  |  Public Forum
|  Sunday June 22  |  3 - 6 pm
|  Innis Town Hall  |  Free event
|
|  This forum constitutes a moment to think through, substantiate and
enable the actualisation of new parameters for peace in
Palestine-Israel. The artist, curators and activists on this panel
will reflect on their own work in relation to the questions with
which we began our project. A just and viable peace requires a
commitment to co-labouring across divides. Our contention is that
such a co-labouring necessitates ethically responsible practices of
solidarity. We envision this moment as an opportunity to work through
these issues critically.

|_________________________
|  PALESTINE BECOMING  |  Spoken Word Performance
|  Sunday June 22  |  7 pm
|  Innis Town Hall  |  $12 or pwyc
|
|  Spoken-word artists and activists will read Palestinian women's
popular poetry, modern verse by poets living in Israel, in the
Occupied Territories and in diaspora, and poems of solidarity.
Eluding isolation, surveillance and censorship, the absented
Palestinian body/voice returns to assert its agency through
non-violent modes of resistance in poetry.

|_________________________
|  MAPPING THE ROADS  |  Panel Discussion
|  Tuesday June 24  |  7 - 10 pm
|  Room 4-422, OISE, 252 Bloor St. W.  |  Free event
|
| In this panel, the feminist Dialogue group composed by Women for
Palestine (WFP) and the Jewish Women's Committee to End the
Occupation (JWCEO) will focus on the U.S. proposed Road Map.
Panelists will engage in difficult topics such a Zionism,
anti-semitism, colonialism, Indigenous people's rights, and the
Palestinian refugees' right to return, committing to the imperative
of negotiating not in spite of difference, but precisely because of
it.

|_________________________
|  COME OUT FOR PALESTINE!  |  Public Art Workshop
|  Wednesday June 25  |  1:30 - 5 pm
|  519 Community Centre,  519 Church St.  |  Free event
|
|  Put the politic back into pride. Join with other community and
political activists to paint, sew, draw, print and splash that dull
parade with the passion it is missing. Come in solidarity with Salaam
Toronto: Queer Muslim Community, to support the struggle of
Palestinians for self-determination, and to support the fight of both
Palestinian and Israeli Jewish activists for a just peace. There is
no pride in occupation.

|___________________________
|  PRIDE  |  Marches
|  Saturday June 28 and Sunday June 29  |  2 pm
|  Streets of Toronto
|
| Creative Response and other community organizations will join
forces with Salaam Toronto for the Dyke March on Saturday and the
Queer Pride parade on Sunday. For information on locations check
http://negotiations2003.net

|____________________________________________
|__________________________________
| Negotiations: From a Piece of Land to a Land of Peace
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| http://negotiations2003.net
|
| Negotiations is a Creative Response initiative:
| http://creativeresponseweb.net

rekombinant .network
http://rekombinant.org
http://rekombinant.org/media-activism