Hi,

Here are the different values I obtain for a residue with R1 = 1.1336 +-
0.0851 ; R2 = 12.9336 +- 0.9649 ; and NOE = 0.463921 +- 0.045

    J(0)                      J(wN)                    J(wH)
    =====================     =====================    =====================

Here are the results with Leo Spyracopoulos's Mathematica notebook.

    4.704231413115747e-9      2.664085520910741e-10    9.485555428699657e-12

Here are the results with relax without multiplying frequencies in Hz by
2 pi.

    4.6978912534878238e-09    2.6603551824374712e-10
9.478993207668287e-12

    ratio
    0.9986522432526923179     0.9985997677461966745
0.9993081880043085706

Here are the results with relax when multiplying frequencies in Hz by 2 pi.

    3.4634030539343071e-09    1.9612804482358541e-10
9.478993207668287e-12

    ratio
    0.7362314371436068543     0.7361927508863804185
0.9993081880043085706

The very small discrepancy we get (ratio 0.999...) is due to several
small differences in the definitions of constants (e.g. gn = -2.7126 in
relax and -2.7108 in Leo's notebook). This is not important. However,
there is a non negligible difference with the use of either frequencies
in Hz or frequencies transformed to rad/s.

Now, what do we do with that ?

The spectral densities are in units of rad / s = rad s^-1. (these are
not SI units, however)

The rates (R1, R2 and sigmaNOE) are in units of s^-1.

The constant 'd' is in units of s^-2.

The constant 'c' is in units of s^-2 also (or rad^2 s^-2 if we use
frequencies in rad s^-1, which are not SI units).

I now hesitate between 3 views.

1. Should the spectral densities be in SI units (i.e. in s, as the
frequencies are in s^-1 and the rates in s^-1) ?

2. If the spectral densities are in s rad^-1, the frequencies used to
calculate them should also be in rad s^-1, thus the constant 'c' should
be in rad^2 s^-2 and the constant 'd' also (so we should calculate it
without multiplying by the factor of (mu/4pi)^2). This would be about
using old units instead of the SI units, but then the spectral densities
would be in s rad^-1.

3. We could calculate everything in SI units (as we do right now) and
normalize to rs ad^-1 in the end.

Either way, I think that Leo's notebook yields spectral densities s and
not the usual s rad^-1 (as in the 2006 paper : JBNMR,36:215-224, for
which I calculated back spectral density values and yielded the same as
published where they say it's in s rad^-1, but the units deriving says
it's s).

Can you please tell me if I'm right with those ideas before I write to
Leo to report this apparent bug or typo or whatever...

Séb  :)

--