Greetings,

I actually am sympathetic to Professor Laycock's solution.  It seems to me that the problems of marriage (at least in our legal tradition) were created by Henry VIII, when the ecclesiastical courts were made into an arm of the state.  It makes sense to give marriage back to the churches and the private sphere, and let the state create some separate category.  I am curious if anyone knows the history.  How did marriage operate when the ecclesiastical courts were separate.  Did the common law have some parallel notion of marriage with the ecclesiastical courts to handle stuff like the decent of land, etc.  I remember reading someplace that in medieval law a marriage for purposes of the common law courts could be formed by simple agreement, but that a marriage for purposes of the ecclesiastical courts required the sacrament of marriage celebrated by the church.  The differing court systems would then give differing remedies depending on what kind of marriage you had.  Does anyone with more background on this, know if this is right?

Incidentally, I am still confused as to why civil unions present an establishment clause issue.  In what sense is religion advanced or established merely because the government has a policy that makes some religious citizens happier?  If making a distinction between civil unions and heterosexual marriage is an unconstitutional establishment, then it seems that heterosexual marriage itself would be an unconstitutional establishment.

Nate Oman