From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NRO Article

First, as to the idea that "science has no clue" how life originated, much of the testimony to the Texas State Board of Education this past year refuted that claim directly.  Especially the work of Dr. Andy Ellington at the University of Texas, and his testimony specifically talking about the wealth of hard data researchers have, should be convincing.

But what do you guys think the Mars rovers are all about?  Do you really think NASA has been shooting in the dark on this stuff?  Astrobiology is a vital and exciting branch of science.  Without resorting to a much longer post, let it suffice to say that there are more papers published each month dealing with the rise of life spontaneously, than there have been published about a hypothesis for intelligent design in the past decade.

Since there is so much evidence, speculating about what "might be" available is rather fruitless.  A literature search produces a wealth of evidence, and denying that it exists simply can't make a case against evolution, especially in a federal court.

Here are a couple of links you may find useful:
Astrobiology Magazine :: Search for Life in the Universe
Testimony of Dr. Stephen Weinberg before Texas SBOE:   Physics Nobelist Takes Stand on Evolution - Inside Science News Service
Dr. Ellington's testimony:  http://www.tea.state.tx.us/textbooks/adoptprocess/sept03transcript.pdf
(This file is 529 pages, so beware!  Ellington's testimony begins on page 320 of the transcript)

And with that as background, let me turn to Mr. Beckwith's comments.  High school biology is not the place to engage in long philosophical discussions over where exactly are the bounds of science, and where they may overlap with religion.  The issues in the states involve what is required to be in the science texts, and what may be taught as science in science classes.

While it is possible to make an argument that there is a fuzzy line between science and religion, that has not proven useful in arguing that religious ideas should be taught in science classes.

I think a case could be made, if there were hard results from experiments that clearly backed the idea.  For intelligent design, unfortunately, there are no such experiments.  There are a small handful of partial references in literature, but there is no significant body of articles which lay out what a college biology student bound for graduate study would need to know about ID to keep current, and I suspect that is because there is nothing in that category.  Since there is nothing available to give to college students on the vanguard of biology, there is similarly nothing to give to high school students.  Teaching conjecture as science tends not to rest well with judges.

ID advocates tend to admit as much; they say that their only issue right now is problems with Darwinian evidence.

But their similarly is no body of literature to evidence problems with Darwinian theory.

So in the end, we come down to a very simple contest between well-evidenced science and  claims that are not well-evidenced.  ID loses out in such a contest.

Ed Darrell
Dallas