I want to take this occasion publicly to thank Eugene for his calm,
levelheaded responses.  I am not sure that I deserve it, even though I
hit the wrong button, but I want to thank Eugene.

-----Original Message-----
From: Volokh, Eugene [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 8:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: From the list custodian

Folks:  I don't think I need to go further into the need to keep posts
on the list as polite and substantive as possible -- and to think twice
before hitting "enter," both to look again over the substance of the
message, and to make sure it's being sent to the right place.

Let me remind people of one other matter:  Please keep all posts focused
on *the law of government and religion*, which is to say how the law
(the Free Exercise Clause, the Establishment Clause, Title VII, etc.)
affects religious institutions, behavior, and the like.  (Discussions of
a discussion list's boundaries and list etiquette are also technically
on-topic, up to a point, but that's not really relevant here.)

Broader moral or religious questions, such as whether homosexuality is
morally proper, how religious people should react to it, and so on are
*not* on-topic.  Naturally they're related to the list topic, but if we
are to keep the list focused on its comparative advantage, and keep
discussions manageably brief, we need to limit ourselves to *the law* of
government and religion.

So if your post doesn't mention the law, change it to include an
explicit legal tie-in.  And if that looks like too much of an
afterthought, then please send the post off-list (and make sure that it
is indeed off-list).  Thanks very much,