Footnote 17 of the Repondents' Brief in Hurley, which speaks for itself and which fully explains the ACLU's state-action argument:

FN17. One amicus, the American Civil Liberties Union, argues that the state courts did not fully explore the way in which the City's longstanding pattern of delegating responsibility for "the" Evacuation Day/St. Patrick's Day Parade to the Council may have established a set of connecting arrangements under which the Council, acting as a surrogate for public authority, is obligated to exercise its delegated authority consistent with the Fourteenth Amendment. (Br. of Amicus A.C.L.U. at 19- 22). If this case were to be remanded, the ACLU suggests that the Supreme Judicial Court should revisit that "state action" question. There is indeed abundant evidence in the record, cited by the trial judge in his opinion (Cert. Pet. App. at B14-22), that the Council's conduct of the Parade in conjunction with City authorities constitutes state action, and that ground for affirming the judgment of the Supreme Judicial Court is open to this Court, even though it was raised only in a reply brief in that court, and rejected. Cf. Teague v. Lane, 489 U.S. 288 (1989). The City's long-standing delegation of administration of an important civic event to a nominally private party would support such a conclusion. See Terry v. Adams, 345 U.S. 461 (1953); Smith v. Allwright, 321 U.S. 649 (1944).

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: HAnsen v. Ann Arbor Public Schools 293 FSupp2d 780

I wasn't privy to the internal politics of the ACLU on this one, but it's pretty clear that the organization was reluctant to take the "anti-gay rights" point of view, despite the clear countervailing First Amendment interest of the parade organizers. By the time the case got to the Supreme Court, the gay rights group that was suing the parade organizers had dropped the argument, soundly rejected by the trial court, that the parade was anything but a private parade with no government sponsorship.  For the ACLU to take the position that a remand was in order at that point was just bizarre, and could only be explained by either an incredible lapse in legal judgment, or, more likely, as an "out" that allowed the ACLU to avoid the bad p.r. from its liberal constituencies that would come from being on the "wrong" side of a gay rights case while  still not betraying its First Amendment principles.  If Mr. Spitzer has a more coherent explanation of why the ACLU was unwilling to file a brief supporting the parade organizers, I'd love to hear it.