Alan raises a fair point with his hypothetical law giving everyone the right
to take Sunday off if s/he wants.   Facial neutrality might well not be
enough in that case.  But the major problem there, it seems to me, is the
blatant distinction in fact between different religious faiths with Sunday
as opposed to  non-Sunday sabbaths.  I think that it makes more sense to
address that concern directly, rather than have it trigger a separate
inquiry (like the one in Thornton) about the relative burdens that it
imposes on others versus burdens it removes from the accommodated workers.
The latter inquiry is the one that, to me, seems unwarranted and not quite
on point.

One could say, of course, that the accommodation of abortion objections
likewise accommodates certain faiths -- those opposed to abortion -- and not
others -- those who object to participating in other medical procedures.
That raises the difficult question, which we've discussed on list before, of
when an statute-specific accommodation becomes denominational
discrimination.  I might concede Alan's point that you need to look behind
the face of the accommodation somewhat to see if there's just pure religious
favoritism going on.  Gillette v. U.S., which upheld excluding selective COs
from the draft exemption statute, suggested that there needs to be a
"neutral, secular reason" for the limited scope of the exemption.  But I
don't think that such review of the scope of an exemption -- review of why
it wasn't broader or more general in its terms -- should be overly strict.
There are often good practical reasons for addressing only one issue of
conscience at a time.  It may be the only issue of conscience raised by a
particular statute.  And often it's easier for the legislature to set forth
a clear rule for one context than for many contexts:  trying to address a
whole range of contexts at once tends to force the accommodation into the
form of a generalized balancing test that, even if not impermissible, is not
always ideal.  I would protect against denominational discrimination in
statutory exemptions not by doing away with such exemptions, but by backing
them up with free exercise exemptions, which by their nature will be
oriented toward minority faiths.

If the purpose of Alan's hypothetical Thornton-like law is to accommodate
people's conscientious desires (religious and secular) for days off, I can't
see any neutral, secular reason for limiting it to Sundays.  It's a grossly
underinclusive accommodation-of-conscience statute.  The abortion
accommodation, on the other hand, could rest on a judgment that abortion is
a particularly deeply felt issue (a judgment that the newspapers confirm
every day), or is different because it touches on matters concerning what is
a life worthy of respect, etc.  All of these seem much more defensible
reasons for accommodating that particular problem of conscience than are any
of the reasons for giving only Sundays off.  (Again, if the purpose of the
Thornton-like law is to accommodate conscience, I can't see any plausible
reason for limiting it to Sundays only.  The only possible reason to favor
Sundays is to encourage a single day of rest -- a sort of soft version of
the argument for blue laws that succeeded in McGowan.   But in that case its
purpose is not accommodating conscience.)

Tom Berg

Thomas C. Berg
University of St. Thomas School of Law
Mail # MSL 400