I don't think Thomas disbelieves that incorporation has occurred (or
"happened"), and that has included the establishment clause.  I think he is
questioning whether it is justified.  After all, in the same 1940s in which
Everson came down the pike so did the Japanese internment case. I don't
think anyone would accept as a justification of the latter the citation of
historical fact: "broadening the federal power, including interning the
Japanese, happenend again with our third Constituiton (New Deal-Warren
Court." Yes, it happened. But was it justified?

I think there is another way to understand Thomas that is consistent with
establishment applied to the states but without incorporating the
Establishment Clause.  (I just read through his opinion in Newdow very
quickly; so I may be reading him wrong on this).  Thomas seems to be saying
that state disestablishment can be gotten through the free exercise clause,
which can be interpreted to mean that state power to curtail free exercise
is prima facie unjustified. This would mean that really egregious cases of
establishment--e.g., assessments that tax everyone to support a particular
church, indoctrinating students in public school classrooms, etc.--violate
free exercise. However, the Pledge of Allegience--from which kids can opt
out--violates no one's free exercise.

It does, of course, put the state in a position of claiming that the nation
is "under God." But one could give a separationist account of this by
arguing that since the writer of the Danbury Letter (the sacred text of
separationism, so to speak), Jefferson, affirmed in the Declaration that our
rights, including religious liberty, are endowed to us by our Creator,
apparently he saw no inconsistency in maintaining both beliefs
simultaneously.  In this sense, we are "under God."

Frank