I guess that would count for whatever weight the jury gives it.  With the right (wrong) jury, it might be evidence of redemption or whatever.  Why withhold the information whatever the sect?
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 11:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Evidence of religious conversion at a death penalty sentencinghearing .:.

But would the conversion to the World Church of the Creator (white supremacist religion in prison and on the web) also count?  I think not, which means the courts cannot say that conversion to religion per se indicates good behavior.  They need to stick to the objective facts of good behavior.  The appeal to Christianity is an attempt to bring into the case mom and apple pie, but it can't be a legitimate criterion, under the rule against sect preferences in both Religion Clauses.
Marci

I assume that the point is not that Christianity has special status, but
that the conversion to a system of religious belief is (or so a jury might
find) indicative of a likelihood of redemption (in a secular sense) and htat
the person need not be executed to protect society.
I would imagine that the same would be true if a convict showed devotion to
some secular equivalent. Under the court's cap[ital punishment rules ,post
arrest conduct in jail-even after conviction and on retrial-- is relevant as
a mitigating factor.

Sidley Austin Brown & Wood LLP mail server made the following annotations on 11/12/2004, 10:20:24 AM

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.