-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 12:02 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: "Religion of peace"?

Marc makes a good point, but say that there is a dispute about whether the
particular strain of, say, Islam -- or for that matter, Christianity -- to
which the defendant has converted is a "religion of peace" or a religion
that allows or even suggests violence that U.S. law would condemn.  What
evidence would the state and the defendant introduce?  Statements of
coreligionists?  Religious experts who would testify about what they think
the "real" meaning of the religion is (since we know that for most
religions, there will be some people who can interpret it as countenancing
violence)?  Would we feel comfortable having juries resolve these questions?

Indeed, prison officials do sometimes evaluate whether certain religious
publications advocate violence.  But I had thought that the prison cases
have been seen as an unfortunate though necessary departure from traditional
norms of government action.  Would it be proper to extend them to death
penalty sentencing phases, where a person's life would turn in part on a
jury's evaluation of whether "a church advocates violence"?

Eugene

Marc Stern writes:

        So activity in amnesty international counts ,but not in a religious
group? Why can't the state prove that a church advocates violence to rebut a
mitigating showing of membership in the Church of Creator .Prison officials
make that showing all the time both under RLUIPA and under O"'Lone and the
Constituion..
        The problem all around with religion Clause analysis in prisons (and
other total institutions such as children's homes) is that the government
exercise more power over every aspect of life than it can in  "civilian"
applications  which no doubt were at the forefront of the framers minds.

        Marc Stern

  _____