From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Newsom Michael
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 10:17 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Student reprimanded for religious absences

But are the rules neutral?  Public schools typically accommodate majoritarian religious holidays and holy days – both Christian and Jewish (leaving aside certain Christian sects, as in the case under discussion and leaving aside, perhaps, some Jewish sects) but do not accommodate many, if not all, non-majoritarian religious holidays and holy days.

In our increasingly pluralistic society, accommodation of all holidays and holy days would present serious administrative and fiscal problems.  But there is no getting around the fact of a bias in favor of “typical” Christian and Jewish holidays and holy days, and there is something fundamentally unfair about that bias as it plays itself out in the real world, unless, of course, we adopt Scalia’s dismissive view of religious minorities in Smith.