In very brief:  Under the "government speech" doctrine, a state may require its teachers, in their official capacities (i.e., while teaching), to hue to the state's prescribed curriculum.  This is the majority view in the courts of appeals -- that there is no Free Speech Clause right of indivdual teachers to teach what they wish in the classroom -- although there is some recent caselaw going the other way (principally in the Sixth Circuit, IIRC).

Of course, the state is not entirely free to teach whatever it wishes -- the Establishment Clause imposes some constraints.  And, from all that appears (see http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/05/weekinreview/05murp.html), the interesting question in this case is an Establishment question, not a free speech question -- namely, not whether the school may restrict Mr. Williams' preferred mode of teaching, but whether it must.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ed Brayton
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Steven Williams Case

Mr. Henderson-

I disagree with your characterization of the situation. The title of the press release was "Declaration of Independence Banned from Classroom". But that isn't the reality. The reality is that a series of fliers that included excerpts from the Declaration of Independence were not allowed by the principal. Now, whether that decision is reasonable or not depends on the exact content of those fliers, what was intended by them, and several other factors. But it is still an exaggeration or oversimplification, at best, to portray that as banning the Declaration of Independence from the classroom. Do you think if he had just hung a copy of the Declaration on the wall, it would have been taken down? Highly unlikely. In order for it to be "banned from the classroom", that would need to be the case. I think this is precisely the kind of "grotesque overgeneralization and hyperbole" that you admit is the case with the claim that prayer has been banned in school.

But really that is neither here nor there. I did not intend for that to be the focus of the discussion. I was hoping, and still hope, for some discussion of the legal issues surrounding the case. Do teachers have a right to free speech while acting as teachers? Not an absolute one, I'm sure we would all agree, so what are the limitations on it? If those limitations are determined by the curriculum standards they are required to teach to, who has the authority to determine when supplemental material is germane to the teaching requirements, the teacher or the administration? If the two disagree, does that mean there was a rights violation that should be handled in court or should some other body handle such disputes? These are all interesting questions and they only scratch the surface. Any thoughts on those?

Ed Brayton

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The facts in the Steven Williams case, concededly relevant to the analysis to be applied and the likely outcome of that analysis, do not support the charge that the Alliance Defense Fund has made any misrepresentation of the facts whatever.

It appears that a single (meaning only one, not a marriage reference) complained about a handout given to the students as an exemplar:  a two-sided piece with George Washington's proclamation of a day of prayer on one side and George Bush's similar proclamation from this past May on the other.

The upshot of the handling of the parental complaint was an instruction from the principal:  "I must review every one of your lesson plans and supplemental handouts."  Thereafter, handouts containing references to God were rejected (these documents are identified in the complaint linked in the original email of this thread).  None of the handouts were addressed to religious matters except where the handout was a needed tool for meeting the instructional content standards related to religious aspects of American history.  Among the prohibited fliers was the flier with exerpts from the Declaration of Independence.

I also note from the press releases of ADF related to this matter that their organization has not engaged in the sort of grotesque overgeneralization and hyperbole of the "prayer being banned in school" ilk.  Instead, the lawsuit papers and the releases are perfectly plain and to the point that the ban was with respect to Mr. Williams' classrooms and classes.

Now, given that state of affairs, perhaps the discussion of constitutional principles can proceed free from the rancor that might otherwise accompany a discussion of such a case where accusations of misrepresentation are part of the lead off.

By way of disclosure, I do not work for ADF, although I have enjoyed a warm and mutual friendship with several of their attorneys for so long a time that it predates that organization's existence.

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ

not specifically "on religious matters" except those specifically needed to teach the content standards dealing with religious matters, i.e. the motivations for founding the colonies, the ideas behind the Bill of Rights, the impact of the Great Awakening, etc.   So, the Declaration HAS been banned from Stephen's classroom, but not from the entire school district.  We never said it was.  I've made that very clear.  The principal is rejecting HIS handouts because he is a Christian, on the logic that a Christian who hands out a document with the words "God" or "Supreme Judge of the Universe" in it must be attempting to proselytize.

_______________________________________________ To post, send message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, unsubscribe, change options, or get password, see http://lists.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/religionlaw Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.