Not to put too fine a point on these issues, but the for Roman Catholics and Lutherans, the 7th Commandment is a prohibition on stealing, not adultery. That illustrates the whole problem of putting up these monuments. What does it say to a child, for example, who passes the courthouse everyday and sees the 10 commandments and thinks they are "wrong" and is taught in Church that the list in front of the courthouse is wrong, but then is told by the government -- through the message of the courthouse -- that this is the "correct" 10 Commandments.

In general, I completely agree with Ed's other points.

Paul Finkelman

Ed Brayton wrote:
I must say, as it concerns the 10 commandments issue, that I'm not so concerned about the question of which text of the 10 commandments one uses as I am the question of why anyone rationally believes that they form the "basis of our laws" in the first place. At least 6 of the 10 commandments would be entirely unconstitutional if turned into laws in this country, including all of the first five which are exclusively religious proclamations (thou shalt have no other gods before me, no graven images, taking god's name in vain, keeping the sabbath holy and honoring thy mother and father, and "coveting" they neighbor's stuff). A 7th (thou shalt not commit adultery) would probably be unconstitutional under Lawrence, and is not in our system a legitimate law (though adultery is obviously wrong, it's not a criminal matter but a personal one). An 8th (not bearing false witness) can be made into law in some circumstances, such as perjury or libel, but not as a generalized rule. Only the injunctions against murder and theft are clearly a part of the law in the US and clearly constitutional as a general rule, and those laws are universal to all societies regardless of whether they've even heard of the Ten Commandments because no society could survive without them.

I've never understood this often repeated cliche that our laws are based on the ten commandments when at least 6 or the 10 are entirely forbidden to be laws at all under our constitutional system. And in all the years I've discussed this with people, I've never gotten a coherent answer to that argument. I don't think most people who make the initial argument even bother to think about it at all, it's just an empty truism.

Ed Brayton

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor

918-631-3706 (office)