From: Mike Schutt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 12:22 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: Ten Commandments "Basis of Our Laws" Position

I think what is traditionally meant by the "basis of our laws" position is the following:

1.  The Ten Commandments is a stark (if not the first surviving) demonstration that law comes from "outside" humankind-- that is, that law is not merely a human artifact.  This has a long tradition in the common law, from Magna Carta, to Coke, to Bracton and Blackstone.  The ten commandments "are the basis of our laws," then, in the sense that the common law has taken the view that the King us under law, because law comes from God.  Russell Kirk in his Roots of American Order, for example, cites the giving of the ten commandments as the foundation of Western order.  So, first, the position is that the fact that the Ten Commandments were from God, not man (being written with the finger of God) are the basis for many of the fundamental common law propositions, beginning with "no man is above the law."

2.  Theologians, including Augustine and Calvin and many other Protestant and Catholic theologians in the history of the West have made direct connection between the Ten Commandments and *all* civil, moral, and ceremonial law.  Therefore, "all law" in a sense is based on or-- maybe this is better put-- summarized by the Ten.  This is a pretty supportable proposition from the Old and New Testaments.  So even laws that should not be civil laws, such as the ones that Ed points out, are still "law" in the sense of moral law, as Ed also points out.  Furthermore, civil laws should be based on, modeled after, and in conformance with the moral law; so in that sense, our civil laws are "based on the Ten Commandments."

I can't speak for everyone who might use the phrase, but this is my understanding of what it means to say that "our laws" are based on the "Ten Commandments."