Eugene, I may have missed your point, since it seems we are in agreement that
the Ten C. are not the moral foundation of Am. law.  But, I guess I would still
argue that the moral, as opposed to perhaps the day-to-day practical,
foundation of American law comes from the DoI and BoR.  Alternatively, the
"foundation" (perhaps no so moral) of American law is property and the right to
own it (including, for Jefferson property in about 175 people).  That might be
the foundation of our legal culture -- protecting property while the moral
aspiration was about liberty and equality.  The day-to-day practical issues
were about regulating human behavior to make life safe (so we could pursue our
happiness and acquire property).  I guess I don't see that laws against bad
interpersonal behvaior (killing, stealing etc) are essentially a moral
foundation, and if they are, they are found in every culture at all times, and
so hardly unique to the US and certainly not based on the Ten C or even
 the Bible.  If American law as a unique *America* foundation, it would be in
the aspirational claims of the DoI and the BoR.

Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law
Univ. of Tulsa College of Law
2120 East 4th Place