-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Paul
Finkelman
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 7:51 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Are the Ten Commandments the foundation ofthe
Anglo-Americanlegal system?

  Ok, I think I now understand Eugene's point.  I also
disagree with him
on what constitutes moral foundations of a legal system.

It seems to me that a "moral foundation of law" would require
more than
simply a set of rules of behavior.  Especially if those rules are
universal.  If all cultures ban murder, rape, robbery, then
it is hard
to see banning those things as the moral foundation of the culture or
the legal system. Rather, these are practical rules for any society.
 Basic principles of society say you have othave such rules.  Such
behavior was illegal in the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, ancient Rome,
modern France, etc.  Each society of course *defines* these things
differently.  And punishes them differently.  The US South in
the 1890s
considered murder a crime, but did not see it as such when whites
lynched blacks; Nazi Germany considered murder a crime, but
not when the
state slaughtered Jews.  The US in the 19th Century
considered robbery a
crime, but not when the govt. took land belonging to Indians;
same for
when the Soviet state took farms belonging to small farmers (or large
ones).  My point here is that these rules -- no murder, rape,
robbery --
are universal, although applied differently in different places.

What makes legal cultures different is the moral and political
foundations, that go beyond mere day-to-day rules of behavior.  Most
countries don't live up to their moral foundations, but
nevertheless the
moral foundations are there to appeal to and to promote
change. Thus the
Declaration proclaims equality and rights of life, liberty
and pursuit
of happiness.  The Bill of Rights sets a standard of
religious liberty
and personal liberty in areas of freedom of _expression_ and protection
for arbitrary incarceration or the taking of property by the
government.
 Much of the history of the US has been the struggle to
implement these
foundations.  Lincoln resurrected the promise of the D of I at
Gettysburg and in his five years as President.  There, by the
way, are
not principles found in all cultures; they are not universal.  Many
nations deny religious liberty, freedom of speech, or basic equality.
 Most nations have not embraces such foundations, nor have
they embraced
notions of self-government -- most of the world has not accepted the
idea that "governments are instituted among men, deriving their just
powers from the consent of the governed."  The US and the old
USSR both
banned murder, rape, robberty, but the latter did not embrace
equality,
religious liberty, free speech, or notions of the "consent of the
governed."  Nor did it embrace private property and
individualism.  The
"moral foundation" of the USSR was in part the idea that individuals
were to serve the state and the greater good of the state, and that
property was to be shared  to each according to his needs
(whether the
USSR ever achieve this is of course another matter).  Our
legal system
embraces the individual -- the state is subserviant to the
will of the
people, mediated by constitutional limitations, and the
government gains
its authority from the consent of the governed.   These are the moral
foundations of our system that are not based on day-to-day
rules or (and
I now understand Eugene is not arguing this) the Ten Commandments.

Paul Finkelman

Volokh, Eugene wrote:

	Paul asks me to "Go read [the Ten Commandments] and see what is
there."  I wonder if he might go read my posts and see what is there.

	In my most recent post, I wrote, "Hmm; seems to me that

no murder,

rape, robbery, and the like are a moral foundation of

American law as

much as a practical one.  But, as I've said before, I agree that the
Ten Commandments are not a major moral foundation of American law."
Given this, how can it possibly be that "Surely [I am]

arguing that but

for the 10 C we would not have such rules"?

	In my post last Friday responding to a message of Paul's, I
wrote:  "Paul responds by pointing out that the Ten Commandments
weren't the foundation of American law.  I agree, and have said so
publicly (including some of the points that Paul makes), see, e.g.,
http://volokh.com/2003_04_27_volokh_archive.html#200199520
<http://volokh.com/2003_04_27_volokh_archive.html#200199520>  and
http://volokh.com/2003_04_20_volokh_archive.html#200195975
<http://volokh.com/2003_04_20_volokh_archive.html#200195975>."

	In my post last Friday responding to a message of Bobby's, I
wrote:  "I actually agree with Bobby on this point; I've

written in the

past (on my blog, not in any scholarly work) that the Ten

Commandments

don't form much of a basis for modern American law, and that

it's not

clear to what extent they even formed a but-for cause of

American law

historically, partly for the very reasons that Bobby mentions.  My
point was simply a criticism of the particular arguments that Paul
Finkelman made in an earlier post."

	I am certainly NOT arguing that the Ten Commandments

are a major moral

foundation of American law.  Nor am I arguing that the

prohibitions of

murder, rape, and robbery come from the Ten Commandments.  I don't
believe that I've ever made such an argument, on this thread or
elsewhere.

	Paul has been arguing that the moral foundation of

American law has

been the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.

 I think

that the prohibitions on murder, rape, robbery, etc. are important
moral foundations of American law, probably more important than the
Declaration or the Bill of Rights; and I think it's a mistake to
dismiss them as merely "practical."  This has been the core of the
disagreement at the heart of my posts in this subthread.

But somehow

the responses seem to be arguing against a claim that I

never made, and

that I have explicitly said I wasn't making.

Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Tulsa College of Law
3120 East 4th Place
Tulsa, OK   74104-3189

918-631-3706 (office)
918-631-2194 (fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be
viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read
messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives;
and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the