I will not get into these many complicated issues now, but address the strictly legal one: the Emancipation Proclamation. It was a brilliant piece of legal work, authorizing the emancipation of millions of slaves as soon as the United States Army could get to them. Since he had NO POWER, none at all, to free slaves in the loyal slave states, it would have made no sense for the E.P. to apply to those places. He signed laws ending slavery in DC (where Congress had power to act); he urged representatives from KY to end slavery there, and he used his power as Commander-in-chief to end slavery in all places then in rebellion. As a result, Sherman's march to the sea became the greatest act of human liberation in history (at least before World War II). Every time the US Army moved further into the South, thousands of slaves were instantly freed. You ask note he "did not free any slaves that the Union had the power to liberate," but of course he did. The Union had the power to liberate most of the slaves in the South, and over the next 16 months it did so. Do you have some constitutional theory of how Lincoln had the power to end slavery in Missouri or Kentucky or Maryland or Delaware? Certainly no one in the Lincoln administration has such a theory, even the life long abolitionist lawyer Salmon P. Chase could not come up with a constitutional theory on how to end slavery in the four loyal slave states.

Newsom Michael wrote:
I agree that we should probably take this discussion off list.  However,
how do you account for his put-down of Black leaders near the end of his
Presidency?  (He "invited" them to the White House in order to denigrate
their views on race matters, and otherwise dress them down.) How do you
account for his well-known views that Blacks were inferior?  How do you
account for the fact that the Emancipation Proclamation did not free any
slaves that the Union had the power to liberate?  And how do you account
for the fact that Black people today think little of, or about, Lincoln?
Lincoln wanted to save the Union.  He did not set out to free the
slaves, and, in any event, some very bad men might see some tactical
advantage in freeing slaves (but nonetheless also enforcing a cruel
peonage in place of the Peculiar Institution).

Lincoln was a bad man, so were a lot of other people. The latter fact
does not detract from the former. In relative terms, at least, I find
much more to respect and admire in the Abolitionists, particularly the
more radical ones who dared to think about the central issue of
redistributive justice. Some of their progeny kept the faith, and
played an important role in the founding of the NAACP, for example.
Lincoln had little to nothing to do with the real defenders of racial
justice in America.