In a message dated 12/23/2004 2:13:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Paul, you give Lincoln far too much credit, I fear.  Take a look at his
relations with African-Americans, his condescension, and worse.  On the
subject of race, he was a bad man, pure and simple.

Lincoln was clearly a Declaration man.  And he was clearly a man who understood the cost to the nation of the degrading practice of enslaving men.  True enough, like Jefferson before him, he considered the African inferior to white man and doubted that the freed slave could be assimilated into society.  But a bad man?  I wonder.

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ