Please excuse the egregious typos scattered throughout this post (especially where I "hold my breadth"!) -- I was simply too lazy to proofread this morning, which ought to teach me a lesson.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2004 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: charitable choice hypothetical

I think I now see what Alan's getting at -- namely, that he's testing the legitimacy (or adequacy) of the current state-action doctrine.  This is something that Martha Minow, and very few others, have been examining lately.  The puzzle is something like this:

1.  At time A, the state performs various social service functions -- whether it be drug counseling, welfare administration, operating a prison, or providing bus service to public and private schools.  Those functions are indisputably and uncontroversially subject to constitutional norms -- e.g., the First Amendment, due process, equal protection, etc. -- and therefore (among other things) hiring cannot be done on a racial or religious basis.

2.  At time B -- in the age of privatization -- it becomes too expensive for the state itself to perform those functions (or to monopolize the field, in any event), or legislatures decide that state-run systems are less efficient than private systems.  Therefore, such services and functions "devolve" to the private sector, with the state deciding to substantially subsidize the private actors.  The functions are more or less the same.  And the objectives -- incarcerating felons; rehabilitating drug users; taking kids to school -- are exactly the same.  That is to say, they are what have long been viewed as public functions.  But the state has "contracted out" the services.

3.  Under standard Rehnquist Court state-action doctrine, the funded private actors at time B are not state actors, and therefore all of the constitutional norms that governed the state when it was performing the services at time A suddenly fall away, even though the services -- and the objectives -- are precisely the same.

Alan might well be trying to get us to ponder -- why should that be?  I think it's a very good question.  Indeed, I think that it's a very helpful way to think about why some of us are so troubled by discrimination on the part of those who receive state funds in order to perform valauble social services.  But if I'm right about this, then the object of Alan's "critique" is not so much the charitable-choice proponents, as it is the Burger/Rehnquist Court decisions on state action (e.g., Jackson, Blum, Rendell-Kohn).

Indeed, as many begin assessing Rehnquist's legacy on the Court, we should not forget that one of his earliest and most complete, most startling "victories" was the thorough and decisive rejection of the post-Brown challenge to the state-action doctrine.  In the 1960's, recall, the question of state action was the most important, and most seriously analyzed, question in constitutional law.  See, for example, Charles Black's magisterial Harvard Foreword on state action, still one of the single greatest law-review articles ever written, but now laregly ignored because it seems so anachronistic.  It only took Rehnquist a couple of landmark decisions to end that debate completely, to the point where, even in an age of massive "privitization," (i) almost no one's writing about it anymore; (ii) modern law students (and courts, of course) simply take for granted that the state action distinction is meaningful, valid and inevitable; and (iii) Burton and Reitman are but a distant and faint memory, recalled, if at all, only as an inexplicable skirmish of no real moment.

Perhaps -- although I'm not holding my breadth -- these antidiscrimination questions relating to charitable choice will get people to wondering once again about the state action question.