As we discussed not long ago, the references also included an
"appeal[] to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our
intentions," and "a firm reliance on the protection of divine
Providence."  Some suggested that in the 1770s this would have been seen
as Deism, and I can't speak to that.  But it does suggest not just a
Creator-God, but also one who is a Judge and Protector.