Since the court has NEVER cited the 10 C or hte Bible as legal authority for anything, I am curious how it can be part of our judicial heritage?

Steven Jamar wrote:
I think the Court could dividedly say that the 10 Commandments are part of our juridical heritage and we use history and tradition to justify some things and we have no coercion here and some accommodation could creep in, and state sponsorship is attenuated; plus Moses is on the mural in the Supreme Court, right? So I could see a Rosenberger kind of decision maybe with a Grund/Grutter splitting of hairs between the two cases.

Notwithstanding the foregoing way in which a decision could be cobbled together, I predict that the court will rule the displays unconstitutional as establishment violations. Unlike Rosenberger, it is hard to find keeping them in place as some sort of support of free speech and it is hard to find that from some perspective the religious group would be treated differently and worse than some secular group wanting to post something like, say, the Bill of Rights.

FWIW, I think these should be easy, bright-line cases against. There are plenty of other fora for this sort of witnessing.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar vox: 202-806-8017
Howard University School of Law fax: 202-806-8567

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

Mark Twain

Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Tulsa College of Law