From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 3/11/2005 6:01 AM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Institutional Capacity to Manage Exemptions

It is lamentable when an  accommodation that makes good sense is turned down by a legislature.   But I see no reason to think that forcing assimilation of many behaviors is lamentable.  Only the most rose-colored vision of religion that can think that it should not assimilate in many circumstances.  Religiously motivated practices have included slavery, the oppression of women, and polygamy.   The oppression of children for religious purposes continues to this day, putting them at risk of sex abuse, physical abuse, and the suffering and death associated with medical neglect.

Marci

It's just unavoidable that the Smith rule, without