Suppose the statement was a wee bit different: "This is a really nice
restaurant you have here, except for those blasphemous pictures on the
walls.  It would be a shame if God caused it to burn down, for example,
by causing lightning to strike or a meteor fragment to hit, which I pray
every day God will do if you don't let God answer my other prayer that
you see the light and take down those pictures." And assume there hasn't
been a previous history of restaurants burning down. Much preaching
contains the not-so-veiled threat of divine retribution. So in this case
the speech has to be protected.

Now suppose a few days later an unexplained fire destroys the
restaurant. Shortly before a thunderstorm. Speaker argues her prayers
were answered. Case probably dismissed on basis of failure of proof.

Then it happens again. And again. At some point the coincidences become
too much. So does protected speech lose its protection based on the
"track record" of previous speech? By the same person? By confederates?
By proselytizers of another denomination or sect?

Jim Maule

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/14/2005 10:33:25 PM >>>
        I think the question in either case would be (1) whether the
listener would reasonably understand this as a threat of attack by the
speaker or the speaker's confederates and (2) whether the speaker
intended to put the listener in fear of such attack (see Virginia v.
Black).  So it's possible that #2 would indeed be a threat, and that
would not be, depending on what else the listener knows about the
speaker.  If the speaker or his buddies are suspected of killing other
annoying people, for instance, statement #2 might well be punishable.

        Consider this statement:  "This is a really nice restaurant you
have here, except for those blasphemous pictures on the walls.  It
would
be a shame if God caused it to burn down."  Other neighboring
restaurants have in fact burned down after they refused to take down
blasphemous pictures.  The speaker is religiously motivated (which I
take it is the test for a Sherbert/Yoder-era free exercise claim), and
as it happens the underlying dispute, as well as the language of the
statement, are religious.  If the speaker intends to make the listener
afraid of burning by the speaker or his confederates, and a reasonable
listener would have this fear, then it seems to me that this is a
punishable threat.

theological).

> [...]

> > > and, perhaps most importantly, that occurs at one's place of
> > > sanctuary, the home.  Thus, while I agree that the free
> speech claim
> > > in that pair of hypotheticals is stronger than the free exercise
> > > claim, I don't see the two cases as truly comparable in terms
> > > of the degree and perhaps the nature of the harm, even if
> > > both forms of harm are generally categorized as emotional
> distress.
> > >
> > > Thus, for a set of hypotheticals comparing the strength of
> > > free speech and free exercise claims to be truly comparable,
> > > the nature or at least the degree of harm must also be
> > > comparable.  While not neatly involving parallel factual
> > > settings or messages, consider these two scenarios:  First,
> > > we again have the offensive parody of Jerry Falwell in Larry
> > > Flynt's Hustler magazine, in which Flynt invokes freedom of
> > > speech as a defense against a claim for emotional distress.
> > > Second, we have a homosexual couple that is rejected as
> > > tenants by a homeowner of traditional religious values for
> > > the spare room in her house, in which the homeowner invokes
> > > free exercise as a defense as a claim for discrimination by
> > > the homosexual couple under a municipal gay rights ordinance.
> > >  Assume for the sake of argument that other rental
> > > opportunities for homosexual couples are available in that
> > > community (a reasonable assumption, as a municipality in
> > > which political support exists for enactment of a gay rights
> > > law involving housing is unlikely to one in which such
> > > discrimination is omnipresent across the community, but even
> > > if you find the assumption more debatable, I ask you to
> > > accept it for this hypothetical).
> > >
> > > Under that hypothetical, then, the claim of the homosexual
> > > couple, although framed as housing discrimination and seeking
> > > the remedy of an injunction, in practical terms is about the
> > > emotional distress of having experienced discrimination by
> > > being rejected as a tenant on the basis of sexual
> > > orientation.  Isn't that experience of emotional distress
> > > comparable to that of Jerry Falwell who was targeted for
> > > sexualized slurs based upon his religious and political
> > > views?  In both instances, the complaining party
> > > understandably and sincerely has suffered an emotional injury
> > > (as I'll assume for this hypothetical, as I doubt that Jerry
> > > Falwell truly was that distressed).  But both emotional
> > > injuries are unaccompanied by any physical component and both
> > > involve primarily upset feelings.  By that analysis,
> > > shouldn't the free exercise claim of the homeowner be
> > > regarded as equally viable as the free speech claim of Larry
> Flynt?
> > >
> > > (And if you don't like my hypotheticals, feel free to
> > > formulate your own, in which the comparability of harm is the
> > > pivot point rather than comparable factual settings.)
> > >
> > > Greg Sisk
> > >

> > > Gregory Sisk
> > > Professor of Law
> > > University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minneapolis)

Doctrine