From: Jean Dudley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 8:42 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Harm to Others as a Factor in Accommodation Doctrine

Marci said:

> I would disagree, because any woman who wants to be a priest is
> clearly at odds with heavily document ecclesiology in the Church that
> forbids them becoming a priest.  Their views, therefore, cut them out
> of the picture before you even get to gender.

As a side note, the Episcopal church in America ordains female priests.
  Not "ministers", but priests.  Doctrinally, the two churches are very
close, with the exception of the doctrine that the Pope is the
spiritual head of the church.  In fact, the Catholic church accepts the
ordination of male priests by the Episcopal church, insofar as to allow
married male priests to convert and retain their ordination.  This has
been under-publicized, but there are many former Episcopal priests
serving as Catholic priests who are married.  They are not required to
follow the rule of celibacy.

Many priests converted due to increasing disaffection with the
Episcopal church's liberal policy of ordaining homosexuals and
lesbians.

Presumably they would have to acknowledge the pope's authority, which
was the original issue that forced the schism under Henry VIII.

I'm not sure what bearing this has on the discussion, but it seems that
if the Catholic Church can bend the rule of celibacy for male priests,
surely they can bend the rules about women lacking that wee bit of
proud flesh, but who uphold the authority of the pope and are willing
to abide by the rule of celibacy.

Jean Dudley
http://jeansvoice.blogspot.com