Last week, there was a brief discussion on the list about a decision
by the DC Circuit (3/8/05, reversing the district court) to uphold
against constitutional challenge various aspects of the Americorps
Education Awards Program.   Bob Tuttle and I have now posted a
comment on the D.C Circuit opinion at the website for the
Roundtable on Religion and Social Welfare Policy.  The comment
can be found here:

http://www.religionandsocialpolicy.org/legal/legal_update.cfm?id=34

Chip

On 15 Mar 2005 at 17:57, Steven Jamar wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, at 04:44  PM, James Maule wrote:
>
> > What major social reform effectuated through legal change was NOT a
> > political non-starter when it first was proposed?
>
> "Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed
> citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever
> has."
>
> Margaret Meade
>

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/15/2005 3:12:30 PM >>>
> >
> >  The idea of cleanly separating religious
> > marriage from state-recognized relationship is appealing, but a
> > political non-starter, in my view.
> >
> > Rob Vischer
> >
> --
> Prof. Steven D. Jamar                                 vox:
> 202-806-8017 Howard University School of Law
> fax:  202-806-8428 2900 Van Ness Street NW
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Washington, DC  20008
> http://www.law.howard.edu/faculty/pages/jamar
>
> "God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be
> changed, courage to change the things which should be changed, and the
> wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."
>
> Reinhold Neibuhr 1943

> posted; people can read the Web archive

Ira C. ("Chip") Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
The George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington D.C 20052

(202) 994-7053

[EMAIL PROTECTED]