I think it's been clear for a long while that when the Court cites the Lemon test, it's almost an afterthought -- a pro forma doctrinal appendage or a fig leaf.  (This was especially true in Amos, I think.)  That's why many folks who brief these cases to the Court -- Doug and I included -- choose not to rely on the Lemon framework:  It doesn't really get at what's going on in the cases, not even at a doctrinal level, and thus doesn't helpfully "speak" to the Court.  The one very significant exception, I think, is the narrow line of cases (e.g., Edwards v. Aguillard) that can best be explained with reference to the first (purpose) prong of Lemon.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:28 PM
Subject: RE: RLUIPA Unanimously Upheld in Cutter

I see no interment.  They have ignored it before, and then returned to it when they thought it helpful.  This opinion relies on Amos, and Amos marches through the Lemon test, so it may just be that they have more specific doctrine to work with on this issue.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705