I'm not quite sure exactly how the distinction between
"denominational religious beliefs" and "ethical religious precepts"
quite works here.  The bills involved here, after all, dealt not with
abstract theology, but with matters that very much relate to ethical
religious precepts -- abortion and same-sex marriage.

        Moreover, it seems to me that "the official policy" of many
jurisdictions *does* "conform[] to the views of people who hold specific
theological or denominational views."  That's true as to bans on murder,
robbery, perjury, incest, prostitution, and more.  Each such ban
conforms to the view of some people who hold theological or
denominational views that endorse such a ban (though it also conforms to
the views of other people who support the ban for other reasons, but I
take it that the same is true of the law that Perry was signing).  Even
if Perry's signing ceremony suggested that this fact was indeed factual,
I don't see what's wrong with it.

        Nor do I see how Perry's signing ceremony "suggest[s] that these
kinds of religious precepts and the communities that adhere to them are
held in special regard by government."  Rather, it seems to me that it
suggests that a particular religious community is held in regard by
Perry, who wants to use this gesture of regard to cement his bond with
the community.  (It may also remind the community of the fact that the
legal system in general reflects their views, but that doesn't mean that
the religious community is "held in special regard by *government*.")

        Eugene