-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:42 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Chaplains and public funds

        I don't think this is just a question of chaplains using public
funds.  Even if all chaplains were funded by private entities, the military
would still have to play an important role in selecting which ones may
accompany the troops, providing them with housing and protection, and so on.
(The matter may be less complex when soldiers are on base and can easily go
off it to go to church, but that of course won't always be the case.)  So
some degree of entanglement of a sort that would normally violate the
Establishment Clause would be present even if no government salaries were
involved.

        Conversely, even if the chaplains weren't soldiers, the military
would have ample reason to limit chaplains' speech on military property to
soldiers, in order to maintain morale and military effectiveness, just as it
has ample reason to limit its soldiers' and officers' speech.