Title: Message

It is not that difficult, in my view.  There is a formalist objection to the decision.  I don’t buy it, but I recognize that it exists, and this objection is not necessarily rooted in religious purpose or intent.  However, why would one want to make a formalist, jurisprudential objection by posting the Ten Commandments in defiance of the Court?  That is what I don’t understand at all.  It makes no real world sense to me whatsoever.

-----Original Message-----
From: Volokh, Eugene [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 4:21 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: GovernmentdisplaysprotestingagainsttheSupremeCourt'sEstablishmentCla...

    Doesn't this suggest a possible weakness of inquiring into whether a purpose is "primary"?  Those who see government action as manifestations of a supposed Protestant Empire, and thus naturally suspect Protestant government officials of a desire to suppress non-Protestants, may easily decide that the purpose to promote religion is the primary one.  Those who see the Court's jurisprudence as misguided or at least highly questionable, and those who think that both Protestants and non-Protestants have legitimate reason to question it, may naturally see that the purpose to criticize the Court and bring about valuable (or at least respectable) legal change is the primary one.  Moreover, if one of the city's purposes is indeed to criticize the Court's majority view, I suspect that the majority Justices would be especially handicapped in objectively judging their critics' motives.

    I realize that sometimes we do judge legislative intent -- but fairly disentangling what is "primary" and what is "secondary" seems extraordinarily difficult even compared to the normal legislative intent inquiries.