Yes, that's right, Mark.  I do not mean to be referring to "religious motivation," but instead to be referring to a "but for" objective of promoting [expressly] [specifically] [uniquely] [your adjective here] religious actvities/beliefs/doctrines.  Of course this is a very fluid concept -- but the Ten Commandments cases from Texas and Kentucky, and Eugene's hypo, are easy cases, no matter how you'd slice it.