-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:15 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Government criticism of the Supreme Court
onreligion-relatedmaterials

        I should think one answer would be clear:  "Impeach Justice
Souter" is hardly a cogent argument, or even much of a step towards a
cogent argument.  It would lead people to mock the city, rather than
leading them to agree with it.

        If a city displays the documents that Justice Scalia cited,
together with a plaque explaining the importance of our national
tradition of recognizing God, and the city's view that this tradition
shows the error of the Supreme Court's decision, that would at least be
something of a cogent argument (though for many not a complete one).
Justice Scalia's dissent is powerful precisely because it includes so
much governmental religious speech from the Framing era and since.
Seems to me that other dissenters should be free to make similarly
powerful arguments.