Mark Stern speaks of "rumblings from congress about protecting America's Christian heritage...by law." Is this a sign of a theocracy developing in Congress? Or merely its concern that the Court has used the EC to cleanse the public square of an important part of America's culture?

I am not sure exactly what the rumblings Mark refers to are about, but it might be the movement to permit passive dispalys of the Ten Commandments and perhaps to make clear that the Pledge of Allegiance, including the reference to "under God," does not violate the EC.

Recognizing that religion generally (and Christianity in particular) have played an important role in the history and laws and culture of America is a long way from anything that remotely could be called a "Theocracy." The way to manage pluralism is not to single out religious people and symbols as outside the scope of the public square. We should all have a place at the table, and all of our symbols should be eligible for public recognition and celebration.

Rick

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either Galahad or Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." --The Prisoner