Title: Re: Pres. Bush Supports Intelligent Design
The notion of falsifiability as a criterion for truth claims—whether inside or outside of science—has come under withering criticism by philosophers of science over the past 40 years.  Proposed in its most robust and sophisticated form by Karl Popper, there is a no consensus on its adequacy.  For example, we know that theories that encounter contrary data—possible defeaters—are some time supplemented by ad hoc hypotheses. Does that make the original theory “unfalsifiable,” or is postulating ad hoc hypotheses a legitimate tactic in the face of a possible defeaters to an otherwise fruitful theory. When do we know that a theory has been falsified? Is it one anomaly, 20, 50?  Nobody knows.

Clearly, there is potential data that count against theistic accounts of the universe. For example, if there is a good argument that the universe did not begin to exist, then that would show that God as an explanation for the universe’s beginning is unnecessary.   Since genetic inheritance is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition, for Darwinism, it’s falsification would falsify every theory of biological change that relies on inheritance including Darwinism.   So, that isn’t much of a test.  The other examples are equally unpersuasive:  “Find a single hominid (or even mammalian or avian) fossil in situ in precambrian strata and evolution is dead.”  I doubt it. I can easily imagine someone saying any of the following: maybe our dating methods are wrong; maybe evolution worked differently than we supposed; or maybe this anomaly will be explained in the future, but one anomaly is no reason to give up an otherwise fruitful theory.  Here’s the other example: “If the fossil record showed that all life forms lived and died at the same time, evolution would be dead.”  Actually, we wouldn’t be here to make that observation, because we would be one of those dead life forms.

The debates about the nature of science, falsification, etc. are much more complicated than can be written about here.  Nevertheless, much of this discussion on design and naturalistic evolution is poorly assessed, in my opinion, because of the disciplinary fragmentation of the academy.  A result of this is the ridiculous notion that calling an argument “philosophical” or “religious” means that the argument can never serve as a defeater to the deliverances of “science.”  But if knowledge is seamless, as I believe it is, then a good philosophical argument against a scientific hypothesis counts against it.  If, for example, I can show that it is conceptually impossible for an infinite series of causes to exist in reality, then I don’t care how many multiple universes Stephen Hawking wants to postulate in order to avoid the daunting conclusion that the ground of being is indeed personal.  Just like I know there can’t be five married-bachelors in the next room without having to look, I can know that an infinite regress of causes is impossible without peering through a telescope or lifting a pyrex tube.

Keep this mind: the distinction between science and non-science is not a judgment of science, but a philosophical conclusion about science.

Frank