Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: UK case

I find it difficult to figure out what principle to adduce from this case. If it were a panel opinion of a US Court of Appeals, there would be no rule established, since there were three opinions, all concurring in the result, but diverging significantly on the law. While Mummery and Rix, LJJ, would agree that the European Court of Human Rights has something to say that affects how UK employment law cases should be decided, only Lord Justice Mummery would give the ECHR case law binding effect to defeat the employee's claim. The case thus does not turn on a point of European law, but on the prosaic basis that an appellate court should not upset the trial court's finding of fact that the employer offered a reasonable accommodation to the employee's request not to work on Sundays. I'm not sure a US court would reach the same result on the facts of the case, but I think the principle of reasonable accommodation is consistent with our jurisprudence.

It is noteworthy that all three justices agreed that the ECHR case law on the subject of taking days off for sabbath observance is, as they were too polite to put it, bizarre and in apparent contradiction to the intent of Article 9 of the Human Rights Convention. Lord Justice Rix probably put the best face on what the ECHR has ruled by focusing on the question of whether it was the employer or employee who sought a change in pre-existing terms of employment; but even he couldn't abide the Stedman case, and discreetly chose to write it off as an aberration (a judicial sleight-of-hand that I'm sure we're all familiar with). By contrast, Lord Justice Mummery was prepared to accept the proposition (paraphrasing Justice Stewart's dissent in Von's Groceries) that the only consistency in the law is that the employer always wins.